- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Lower Back Pain Treatment at Golinsky Specific Chiropractic in Herndon, VA
Lower back pain costs Americans over $50 billion dollars each year in medical care. Not to mention, the pain also results in loss of productivity. A large majority of people will suffer the very real and sometimes debilitating burden of low back pain. Chronic, low back pain can lead to depression, strain in relationships, loss of income and a lowered quality of life. The level of pain may ebb and flow through the years, but most conditions that cause pain in the low back do not simply go away without proper treatment.
Causes of Low Back Pain
The spine supports the entire body, and yet it is a delicate structure with many moving parts. If any one of these parts is injured—disks, bones, muscles, ligaments or joints—pain is often the result. While there are several genetic or disease-related causes of back pain, the most common causes are structural and include:
- Arthritis – Arthritis of the spine can cause inflammation and narrowing around the spinal cord, a condition known as stenosis. When nerves, fluids and soft tissues around the spine are constricted, pinched nerves and other types of pain can occur.
- Bulging Disc – Also known as a ruptured or herniated disk, this type of disk disease occurs when the disk is injured and the gel-like material inside the injured disk ” bulges” outside of the vertebrae and presses on sensitive nerves. Bulging disks are commonly the cause of sciatica pain, a chronic type of low back pain which results in aching, electrical or burning pains shooting down the low back into the leg.
- Osteoporosis – Small compression fractures can occur when the bones of the vertebra become, weak, brittle and porous due to osteoporosis.
- Skeletal Irregularities – An abnormally shaped spine may lead to back pain, but typically only in cases when the abnormality is severe. Scoliosis is one example of a condition that can cause the spine to grow with an abnormal curve.
- Strains – Muscle or ligament strains can happen in a variety of ways. Lifting or pulling heavy objects is a common cause of strains, but in some cases a simple sneeze is all it takes to strain low back muscles. Sports injury, poor posture, repetitive movements, falls, and long hours of sitting are a few of the other ways people can strain muscles and ligaments in the low back.
Chiropractic Care and Low Back Pain
Surgery and pain-reducing medication are often thought to be the only solutions to low back pain. But chiropractic care offers a non-invasive, drug-free option for alleviating pain. By treating the source of the problem, our doctor does more than just mask symptoms. Spinal adjustments are an important tool for improving and maintaining the health of the spine. If the spine is able to function properly without constrictions, many pain-causing conditions are able to heal naturally. At Golinksy Specific Chiropractic, our doctor will make manual adjustments as well as apply a variety of techniques to treat your injuries. We serve the Herndon, Reston, Sterling, Chantilly and surrounding VA areas. Call us today at 703-904-9666.