Why Your Back Hurts After Sleeping, Rockville, MD
There is a reason why mattress companies spend millions of dollars trying to create the perfect product. Sleep is such an important and necessary function of daily life. It allows our body time to reset and repair itself, and can cause misery and pain if disrupted. When it comes to problems that arise due to poor sleep, no mattress may be able to solve the problem of why your back hurts after sleeping. Thousands of people wake up in the morning feeling worse than when they went to bed, and usually, how they slept can have a great influence on how they feel. When it comes to getting better sleep and avoiding back pain that comes after a poor night’s sleep, seeking chiropractic care may be the best option. At RxWellness Spine & Health in Rockville, MD our qualified doctors can help you have a good night’s sleep that consists of no back pain.
What Contributes To Back Pain
There are many things that can contribute to constant back pain, and they can range anywhere from daily habits to painful falls. Some of the most common causes of back pain are:
- Muscle or ligament strain
- Heavy lifting, improper lifting, or twisting too suddenly in the wrong direction can cause terrible strain to your back and contribute to a lot of pain.
- Bulging or ruptured disks
- The disks sit between the vertebrae, and if ruptured, can press on nerves and cause constant and excruciating pain.
- Can cause wearing or breakdown of the bones in the back, and can create a narrowing of space around the spinal cord. This can result in a painful condition called spinal stenosis.
- This is when the spine becomes porous and brittle, which can then result in the development of painful fractures.
- Spinal Misalignment
- Doing daily activities, participating in sports, or lifting a heavy object can cause the spine to be pulled out of alignment, and improper alignment can cause painful problems to develop.
If you are suffering from back pain as a result of any of the above issues, then some of these risk factors can make your condition worse or predispose you to develop them if you have not.
- Excess weight
- Improper lifting techniques
- Not getting enough exercise
Why your Back Hurts After Sleeping
Some research shows that sleeping on a bad mattress can create muscle imbalances, and when the muscles in your lower back are compromised they can contribute to chronic pain. Tight or strained muscles can also be a source of severe pain, so the best thing to do will be to relax the strained muscles and relieve the trigger points. Massage therapy can be very useful for that.
You can also experience a lot of pain if you sleep in ways that leave your spine unsupported. This is why it is important to consider the shape of your body when purchasing a mattress or pillows that claim to offer the best support. A firm pillow that works well for your best friend, might be completely wrong for your body.
Ways You Can Ease the Discomfort
The best thing you can do to ease constant back pain is work with a qualified chiropractor who can help you better understand your body and how to properly care for it. However, if you are looking for possible solutions that may ease discomfort in the long-run, then here are a few tips on how you can prevent and relieve back pain. Some possible solutions might include:
- Keeping Your Spine in a Neutral Position
- Sleeping on your back is the best position for maintaining a neutral spine.
- When you sleep on your back, place a pillow under your knee and neck to keep the natural shape of your spine.
- If you sleep on your side
- Do not favor one side, instead alternate, between left and right to keep balanced.
- Place a pillow between your knees to keep the pelvis, hips, and spine aligned.
- Use a pillow
- This will help you balance out the pressure on your body while you sleep, this way the pressure is not pinpointed to any specific area.
- Get to know your body type and the type of support you need
- Understand your body type and where you need the most support while you sleep.
- Understand how you sleep a night, so you can take steps to improve its quality.
- If you have wider hips, then you might need a softer mattress.
- If your hips are narrow then you might need a firmer mattress.
How Chiropractic Care Can Help
At RxWellness Spine & Health, we offer quality chiropractic care that can help relieve chronic back pain. We also help you take preventative measures to avoid back pain or teach you techniques on how to stop back pain from getting worse. When you book a consultation with one of our qualified doctors, they will listen to your concerns, do a full examination, and take X-rays with your permission, and then create a treatment plan that will work the best for you. Some of the services our doctors may perform or recommend are adjustments, either hips, neck, back, etc.; massage therapy, or soft tissue work; or even STIM. There is a wide range of treatments that may be beneficial, but working with a chiropractor at RxWellness Rockville will help you find the specific treatment that works best for you.
When you wake first thing in the morning, you deserve to have some peace before dealing with the stress that comes with life. So, for the people constantly waking up to back pain, it is important to understand that the pain is not something you have to live with forever. Regardless of however long you have been struggling with back pain, especially pain that gets worse after sleeping, working with a qualified chiropractic professional can help relieve it so that you can live a more comfortable and pain-free life. So, if you are done asking yourself why your back hurts after sleeping, contact RxWellness Rockville, MD today to book a consultation, or give us a call at 1+(703) 904 9666.